New music and art by DMLH, plus other good tunes for all tomorrow's leaders.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

[VIDEO] Lamon Manuel and Analog(ue) Tape Dispenser - Skies (Featuring SKECH185)

Its been a while since I have posted anything here. Well, today I am inspired to change that.

I met Lamon Manuel at a BBQ in Brooklyn where we had both travelled a great distance to do some raps (shoutout reservoir sound for that). I had never heard of him, probably because I have been in a Northwest rap bubble for so long. While milling about during soundcheck I said hi and we spoke briefly, he seemed fairly reserved. I was not prepared for the depth of power he brought to his performance that day.

His style impressed me in its unforgiving and direct tone - his words cut through the layer of bullshit and garbage that sits on top of our socialized nicety. Rare is the rap performance that makes me reconsider/remember what rap can do, but the intensity in his face, and earnest contact he made with everyone in the space brought all of the transformative power of the artform into play.

I have literally been thinking about this performance for the past 2 years, while working at my own craft and witnessing countless others deliver their work.

For about a year after that I would ask him on twitter when the album is coming, and the whole time he says its coming, we are just working to do it right.

If this video is any indication its well worth the wait.

Follow Lamon Manuel @fastingcannibal on twitter and give him a dollar for this song at http://lamonmanuel.bandcamp.com/

Share on Tumblr

No comments: