New music and art by DMLH, plus other good tunes for all tomorrow's leaders.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

DMLH - Got My Taxes Done

Okay, so I did my taxes. Looks like I am not really getting much back. Which is good because it fosters independence from institutional monies. The goal here is to remember to have fun in the Great Depression, stay positive and use the creative energy to generate something greater than money. Right? I just keep reminding myself that its okay to be broke as fuck. Actually i keep getting reminders, when my friends in Portland and around the country respond and help me to build and keep working. Its all about mutual support. We all have our part to play.

Anyway I did my taxes with a certain online prep tool (and by hand of course, to double check) and it brings me back two years, when my good friend and owner of the dopest movie theater in Portland came to me with a proposal: write a song about taxes to win ten grand in an online video contest. He had just won another chunk of money from another random corporation, so I thought it was a pretty good idea. I sat down and wrote some funny lyrics, and we spent a day shooting scenes around Portland with a bunch of crazy cars a friend of ours had at the time. It turned out to be a pretty good video, really one of the better quality entries, but we did not win. I think it was rigged. Anyway now instead of 10 gs we have a silly video that has probably gotten some 3000 views. This is probably the ONLY time you will ever catch me shilling for corporate scum, and though embarrassed by that I still think its a funny little story and worth looking back on. Big ups to Kendall for rockin the boardslide.


Oh yeah, if any independent businesses need a dope jingle, holla @ me.

No comments: